We’ve all done things like this many times without giving it a second thought. However, are you aware that even seemingly minor errors in judgment can compromise your plumbing systems?
That’s right. Plumbing system failure can occur due to exposing your plumbing to certain chemicals or other elements. Even a small amount of these materials will make you pay dearly for your mistake.
The vast bulk of your home’s plumbing system is hidden from view, but by paying attention to what goes down the drain and acting quickly if you discover a problem, you can simply keep it free of obstructions and corrosion. Even if you have to make some changes to your daily routine or get a little dirty, it might save you a lot of money in the long term.
Here are ten things you need to avoid dumping down the drain:
- Drain Cleaners: These might be the most popular culprits for home plumbing mishaps. Some drain cleaners contain hazardous elements that can create severe damage to your pipes.
- Hair: It’s bad enough that hair accumulates in your drains. To make matters worse, the oil from it can cling and build upon the sides of your pipes, making clogs more of a risk.
- Grease and Fats: When fat or grease builds up in the pipes, you’ll be in for some severe problems. This problem also arises from pouring oil down the drain.
- Food: While you might be tempted to put apple cores and potato ends in the garbage disposal, don’t be tempted to do it. You can end up with a severe plumbing problem leading to nasty drain clogs.
- Coffee Grounds and Tea Leaves: This should go without saying, but you can create a seriously clogged drain if you pour coffee grounds or tea leaves into it.
- Nail Clippings: Your plumbing system is not designed to deal with your fingernails and toenails, so you need to keep them away from the drain.
- Bleach: You can use bleach to clean your home, but you should never put it down the drain. Bleach and other chemicals can eat away at your pipes.
- Bandages and Medical Waste: If you’re putting bandages and medical waste in the trash, then you’re fine. However, if you put these items down the drain, you’re asking for trouble.
- Paint: It’s not hard to end up with paint on your clothing or in your hair, but don’t expect to be able to rinse it out. You’ll just have to wait until it washes out, or you throw the clothing away.
- Medication: No matter the difficulty, don’t just pour your prescription pills down the drain, or you could end up with a serious plumbing problem.
Plumbing problems can be cumbersome and costly, but once you’re aware of the causes, you can begin to avoid the issues before they cost you money. The best way to prevent these problems is to keep drains as clean and clear as possible, which means paying attention to what you put down and cleaning them out frequently.
The drains and plumbing in your house might cost you tens of thousands of dollars in repairs if they are not properly maintained.
Sunny Coast Plumbing and Gas provides 24-hour plumbing service in the Sunshine Coast and North Brisbane. Our services include residential and commercial plumbing, gas fitting, and hot water system. We also do repairs, maintenance, and renovation work, so contact us today!